Acting Chair; Professor of Classics; Adjunct in Near Eastern Languages and Civilization, and Comparative Literature, Cinema and Media
M 262F Denny Hall
MW 2:30-3:20 and by appointment
Ph.D., UC Berkeley, 1983
M.A., Fordham University, 1976
B.A., University of Scranton (summa cum laude), 1974
- James J. Clauss, "The Near Eastern Background of Aetiological Wordplay in Callimachus," in J.J.H. Klooster, M.A. Harder, R.F. Regtuit, G.C. Wakker (edd.) Callimachus Revisited: New Perspectives in Callimachean Scholarship (= Hellenistica Groningana 24) (2019) pp. 65-96.
- James J Clauss, "Teaching the Old and New Testaments to Students of Greek and Latin Simultaneously with Numerous and Fascinating Learning Outcomes," Teaching Classical Languages 10 (2019) pp. 99-125
- James J. Clauss, "Nicander of Colophon: Theriaca," in D. Sider (ed.), Hellenistic Poetry: A Selection (University of Michigan Press) pp. 440-462.
- James J. Clauss, "The Hercules and Cacus Episode in Augustan Literature: Engaging the Homeric Hymn to Hermes in Light of Callimachus' and Apollonius' Reception," in A. Faulkner, A. Vergados, A. Schwab (edd.) The Reception of the Homeric Hymns (Oxford University Press 2016) pp. 55-78.
- "Heldendämmerung Anticipated: The Gods in Apollonius' Argonautica," in The Gods of Greek Hexameter Poetry. From the Archaic Age to Late Antiquity and Beyond. Edited by James J. Clauss, Martine Cuypers and Ahuvia Kahane. Franz Steiner Verlag. 2016. pp. 135-151
- James J. Clauss, Martine Cuypers, Ahuvia Kahane (eds.), The Gods of Greek Hexameter Poetry. From the Archaic Age to Late Antiquity and Beyond. Franz Steiner Verlag 2016 Download PDF (70.39 KB)
- “Myth and Mythopoesis in Valerius Flaccus’ Argonautica,” in M. Heerink and G. Manuwald (edd.) Brill’s Companion to Valerius Flaccus (Leiden/Boston 2014) pp. 99-114
- James J. Clauss, Martine Cuypers, Companion to Hellenistic Literature, (Blackwell, 2010; paperback edition 2014)
- James J. Clauss, Daniel P. Harmon (translators). Filippo Coarelli, Rome and Environs: An Archeological Guide. University of California Press: 2007; updated edition 2014.
- James J. Clauss. "Callimachus" (1.221-222), "Capitoline Hill" (1.230-231) "Carinae" (1.232), "Forum" (2.498), "Forum Augustum" (2.498-499) "Forum Boarium" (2.499), "Forum Romanum" (2.2.500), "Medea" (2.797) in R. F. Thomas and J. M. Ziolkowski (edd.) The Virgil Encyclopedia (Wiley-Blackwell 2014)
- James J. Clauss. "Nicander of Colophon," The Encyclopedia of Ancient History (Wiley-Blackwell 2013) 9.4784-86
- James J. Clauss. "The Argonautic Anabasis: Myth and Hellenic Identity in Apollonius' Argonautica, Mythe et pouvoir a' l'époque hellénistique (Peeters 2012) 417-437
- James J. Clauss. "The Benefits of Honors Education for All College Students." Journal of the National Collegiate Honors Council. 2011. 95-100.
- James J. Clauss, Sarah Iles Johnston. Medea: Essays on Medea in Myth, Literature, Philosophy and Art. Princeton University Press: 1997.
- James J. Clauss. The Best of the Argonauts: The Redefinition of the Epic Hero in Book One of Apollonius' Argonautica. University of California Press: 1993.
Research Advised: Undergraduate Senior Essays
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Rachel Carlson. The Honey Bee and Apian Imagery in Classical Literature (2015)
- Robin Greene. Muse without Measure: Callimachus and the Greek Prose Traditions. Diss., 2011.
- Molly Herbert. "Almost Knowing How to Read:" Scribes as Creative Partners in Homeric Transmission. Diss., 2009.
- Marilyn Likosky. Representations of Women in Theocritus. Diss., 2007.
- Jackie Murray. Polyphonic Argo. Diss., 2005.
Research Advised: Undergraduate Honors Theses
Summer 2019 Full-term
Summer 2018 Full-term
Summer 2017 Full-term
Summer 2016 Full-term
Summer 2015 Full-term
Summer 2014 Full-term
Summer 2013 Full-term
Summer 2012 Full-term
Summer 2011 Full-term
- Classics OMA&D Program in its 24th Year - June 12, 2019
- Professor Clauss featured in 'Faculty Friday' - April 19, 2019
- Classics Undergraduates present their research at Annual Symposium - May 13, 2016
- Jim Clauss on how the Greeks put the world in order: Ancient Greek perspectives in Physics and Astronomy's Cosmologies and Cultures course - March 23, 2016
- A testimony from a former participant in Professor Clauss' OMAD Rome Academic Enrichment Program - April 22, 2015
- UC Press publishes updated version of Rome and Environs: An Archaeological Guide - May 21, 2014
- Professor Clauss heads to Europe with the UW volleyball team - June 19, 2013
- UW Honors Program named 'Best in the West' - June 18, 2012
- Professor Clauss accompanies UW women's basketball team on mythic tour of Scandinavia. - May 7, 2012
- Miscellanea Classica: Beginnings, Endings and In-between (Undergraduate Research Symposium) - May 20, 2016 - 3:30pm to 5:15pm