A study abroad program can be an excellent way to enhance and deepen your appreciation of the classical world. The Department of Classics is committed to encouraging and supporting students who wish to participate in study abroad programs, whether they be sponsored directly by the Department of Classics or other units at the University of Washington or offered through any number of institutions and organizations. This is merely a partial list of programs in which our students have participated in the past and which we support. We urge any student -- majors and non-majors alike -- who is interested in these or other programs to consult with the Undergraduate Advisor (Professor Catherine Connors) or some other faculty member to determine which might best suit your particular interests. Please remember as well that the Department of Classics has substantial financial resources to enable eligible, qualified students to participate in these programs: click HERE for a list of those resources and application procedures, or feel free to contact the Undergraduate Adviser for further information.
1. The UW Study Abroad Office sponsors programs to Rome and other locations that provide students the opportunity to explore the history and influence of the classical world. Visit UW Study Abroad to learn more about these opportunities.
5. The Hellenic Education & Research Center offers a large variety of programs both during the regular school year and the summer (some spring deadlines).
6. ArchaeoSpain offers summer programs in Spain, Italy, and Greece for undergraduates interested in classical archaeology.
7. The Balkan Heritage Field School. A variety of archaeological field schools with opportunities for undergraduates and graduate students, located primarily in the Balkans (including Macedonia).
8. San Gemini Preservation Studies. A summer field school, now in its 21st year, that organizes lectures, research, fieldwork, workshops and field trips in the disciplines of historic preservation, restoration and conservation. It is located in Central Italy in the city of San Gemini. Application for 2020 summer programs is due MARCH 15. Click HERE for more information about their programs.