As part of its commitment to equality of opportunity for all students who have an interest in studying Classics, the Department is fortunate to be able to support students from a variety of scholarship funds contributed by generous donors. We have a strong record of supporting students who face significant financial constraints in pursuing their university education, students with deep personal experience with, or commitment to, diverse cultures, and students from backgrounds underrepresented in Classics. Awards include: Jim Greenfield Academic year scholarships; Friends of Classics Summer language study scholarships; Classics Students Travel Endowment Awards and Roseanna Wabel McDermott Study Abroad Awards.
Applications, requiring a letter of 300-500 words addressed to Prof. Catherine Connors, Chair, describing how a scholarship award would enhance a the student's ability to study and appreciate the Classics, are due on February 1 2018. Please consult the detailed instructions available here.
Certain awards, such as the Meg Greenfield Essay Prize, require nomination by a faculty member.
For a full listing of the Department's several endowments and funds, most of which go to support our students, please click on the 'Support Classics' link to the right.
In addition, both undergraduates and graduate students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the various external scholarship opportunities available to them. More information is available from the Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards. The Graduate School also offers information about Fellowships for Graduate Students.
- Jim Greenfield Scholarship Programs
- For Undergraduates
- Jim Greenfield Undergraduate Scholarships
- Jim Greenfield Undergraduate Travel Bursaries
- Jim Greenfield Undergraduate Rome Program Travel Support
- Meg Greenfield Essay Prizes
- Jim Greenfield Reimbursement of Graduate School Application Fees
- Office of Minority Affairs Program Support
- For Graduate Students
- Jim Greenfield Graduate Fellowship
- Jim Greenfield Graduate Stipends
- Jim Greenfield Graduate Travel Bursaries
- Jim Greenfield Dissertation Fellowships
- Meg Greenfield Biography
- Jim Greenfield Biography
- Harvey Densmore Scholarships
- Classics Student Travel Endowment
- Ringland Rome Prize
- Roseanna Wabel McDermott Endowed Fund for Study Abroad