I am trained as a Classical archaeologist with an emphasis in Greek art, and I am especially interested in the ways in which images intersect with other elements of culture, including literature, ritual, spectacle, and performance. My publications include The Imagery of the Athenian Symposium (Cambridge UP 2012) and articles on a variety of issues in Greek vase painting. My second book, currently in progress, is tentatively titled The Thalamegos of Ptolemy IV Philopator: Power, Spectacle, and the Royal Ship in Hellenistic Alexandria; my smaller projects include articles and chapters about inscriptions on sympotic pottery and an article on the metopes of Temple C at Thermon. I currently serve as Series Editor for Selected Papers on Ancient Art and Architecture, an annual publication of the Archaeological Institute of America supported by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation.
- Kathryn Topper. “Dionysos Comes to Thrace: The Metaphor of Corrupted Sacrifice and the Introduction of Dionysian Cult in Images of Lykourgos’s Madness,” Arethusa 48.2 (2015) 139-171
- Kathryn Topper. The Imagery of the Athenian Symposium. Cambridge University Press: 2012.
- Kathryn Topper. "Approaches to Reading Attic Vases," in A Companion to Women in the Ancient World, eds. Sheila Dillon and Sharon L. James (Wiley-Blackwell, Malden 2012) 141-152
- Kathryn Topper. "Maidens, Fillies, and the Death of Medusa on a Seventh-Century Pithos," JHS 130 (2010) 109-119
- Kathryn Topper. "Primitive Life and the Construction of the Sympotic Past in Athenian Vase Painting," AJA 113.1 (2009) 3-26
- Kathryn Topper. "Perseus, the Maiden Medusa, and the Imagery of Abduction," Hesperia 76.1 (2007) 73-105
Research Advised: Undergraduate Senior Essays
- Stephanie King. "The Author as Editor: Examining the Role of the Gladiator and the Amphitheater in Nineteenth-Century Historical Novels." Senior Essay, 2015.
- Sherry Zeng. Humorous Functions of Satyrs: An Overview (Senior Essay)
- Dillon Gisch. "Crouching Aidoia, Hidden Pudenda: A Comparative Study of Aidos, Kosmos, and the Crouching Aphrodite Type." Senior Essay, 2013.
- Katherine Caple. "Clytemnestra in the Oresteia and Greek Pottery: Gender, Textiles and Weaponry." Senior Essay, 2012.
- Sijia Yu. "Etruscan Aristocratic Women: the Ultimate Status Symbol." Senior Essay, 2012.
- Daryl Moore. "The Commingling of Greek and Egyptian Styles in Three Portraits of Ptolemaic Queens." Senior Essay.
- UW at the SCS/AIA/NACGLE (2020)! - December 16, 2019
- Messages from Rome - December 6, 2017
- Prof. Kate Topper featured in The Whole U: Faculty Friday - March 10, 2017
- Feminism and Classics VII: Visions - May 27, 2016
- UW hosts seventh international conference on Feminism and Classics May 19-22 - May 15, 2016
- "Pandora's Ballot Box" - February 16, 2016
- Visions: Feminism and Classics VII - May 19, 2016 to May 22, 2016
- Coming of Age at Thermon: Marriage and Its Discontents on the Metopes of Temple C - May 19, 2015 - 7:30pm