Associate Professor of Classics
Ph.D., Classics (Philology major; Philosophy and Archaeology minors), UC Berkeley, 2000
M.A., Latin, UC Berkeley
B.A., Latin and Classical Studies; B.A. Philosophy, UW
- Sarah Culpepper Stroup. "When I read my Cato, it is as if Cato speaks: The Evolution of Cicero’s Dialogic Voice." The Author’s Voice in Classical and Late Antiquity. Oxford: 2014.
- Sarah Culpepper Stroup. “Without Patronage: Fetishization, Representation, and the Circulation of Gift-Texts in the Late Roman Republic.” The Gift in Antiquity. Wiley-Blackwell: 2013.
- Sarah Culpepper Stroup. Catullus, Cicero, and a Society of Patrons: The Generation of the Text. Cambridge: 2010.
- Sarah Culpepper Stroup. "Making Memory: Ritual, Rhetoric, and Violence in the Imperial Roman Triumph.” Belief and Bloodshed: Religion and Violence across Time and Tradition. Rowman & Littlefield: 2007.
- Sarah Culpepper Stroup. "Greek Rhetoric Meets Rome: Expansion, Resistance, and Acculturation.” A Companion to Roman Rhetoric. Blackwell: 2006.
- Sarah Culpepper Stroup. "Invaluable Collections: the Illusion of Poetic Presence in Martial’s Xenia and Apophoreta" Flavian Poetry. Brill: 2005.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Jessica Kapteyn. All Italy an Orchard: Landscape and the State in Varro’s de Re Rustica.
- Christina E. Franzen. Revulsion and Desire: the Figure of the Monster in the Roman Imperial Imagination. Diss., 2007.
- Marco J. Zangari. Cicero Fabricator: The Ethos of Aesthetics in Cicero's de Signis. Diss., 2005.
Research Advised: Undergraduate Senior Essays
Research Advised: Undergraduate Honors Theses
Summer 2018 Full-term
Summer 2017 B-term
Summer 2016 B-term
Summer 2014 Full-term
Summer 2013 Full-term
Summer 2012 Full-term
Summer 2011 Full-term
CLAS 314: STEM in the Ancient World
CLAS 399: Sport and Spectacle in Ancient Rome (Spring Break study abroad course)
American Philological Association, Archaeological Institute of America
- Professor Stroup at sea! A modern Odyssey - August 29, 2018
- Exploring -- and Building -- Ancient Technology in Classics 314 - December 6, 2017
- UW Classics at the SCS/AIA! - December 1, 2017
- Professor Stroup helps host visiting students from Paschal Sherman Indian School - May 3, 2017
- 'War Games': Professor Stroup speaks on ancient and modern athletics at Parent and Family Weekend - April 2, 2017
- Updates from Professor Stroup's two week intensive Sport and Spectacle in Rome - March 16, 2016
- 'Gladiators and Spectacular Violence in Ancient Rome' - March 15, 2015 - 12:30pm